In the past, people are less enthusiastic about the investigation of non pharmacological treatment in essential hypertension, because it is less effective and very difficult to implement. However, given that mild hypertension includes most of the cases and the presence of side effects due to treatment performed in the long term, prompting experts to investigate the advantages of non-pharmacological treatment.
Non-pharmacological treatment sometimes can control blood pressure so that the pharmacological treatment becomes unnecessary, or at least postponed. While the circumstances in which the anti-hypertensive medication is required, non-pharmacological treatments can be used as a complement to obtain better treatment effect.
Non Pharmacological treatment include :
- Overcoming Obesity / lose excess weight.
- Reduce salt intake to the body. Salt reduction advice should consider eating habits. Salt causes fluid accumulated in the body, leading to increased volume and blood pressure. According to the WHO Expert Committee on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention of salt intake should be no more than 6 grams a day.
- Create a relaxed state. Various ways of relaxation such as meditation, yoga or hypnosis can control the nervous system that finally can lower blood pressure.
- Doing sports like aerobics or brisk walking for 30-45 minutes as much as 3-4 times a week.
- Stop smoking and reduce alcohol consumption.
- Measure blood pressure regularly.
- Consult with your doctor regularly.
Treatment with drugs (pharmacological)
Treatment of hypertension based on several principles which are:
- Treatment of secondary hypertension is more priority to the treatment of the causes of hypertension.
- Treatment of essential hypertension is aimed at lowering blood pressure to extend the life expectancy and reduce the incidence of complications.
- Efforts to lower blood pressure achieved with anti-hypertensive drugs.
- Treatment of hypertension is a long-term treatment, even the possibility of a lifetime